Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

   I love chocolate syrup. However, the ones sold in store have a lot of unnecessary ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavor, red 40 etc. So I found a recipe to make my own and it was very quick and easy. I put it in a vinegar bottle I had previously cleaned.

This recipe is from the book Tightwad Gazette. Although it's delicious, I plan to try using less sugar next time I make it.

Chocolate Syrup:
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/8 tbs salt
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Mix cocoa and water in saucepan on stove while heating it on medium to dissolve. Then add sugar and stir to dissolve. Boil for a couple of minutes, then add salt and vanilla. Turn off heat and once cool pour into clean jar. Makes about two cups of chocolate syrup. Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment